RTS Blog Post
Apply now to be the next Marketing and Communications Coordinator at Rethinking Schools!
Marketing and Communications Coordinator needed for full-time work in Milwaukee’s Riverwest neighborhood. This position is responsible for Rethinking Schools’ (RS) public relations and for developing and implementing marketing plans to promote the sales and growth of Rethinking Schools magazine, RS books and the RS website.
Responsibilities include coordinating design and production of promotional materials, social media campaigns, advertising, sales at conferences, subscription renewal services, and promotional campaigns for new books. The Marketing and Communications Coordinator reports directly to the Business Manager and works collaboratively with the Office Manager, design/layout consultant, and Rethinking Schools magazine and book editors.
- Develop and implement print and digital marketing, including the acquisition of mailing lists, working with editors on content, and analyzing click and success rates of emails, Facebook posts, website visits, etc.
- Develop annual marketing plan and timeline for Rethinking Schools, RS books, and RS website.
- Design, oversee and evaluate subscription renewal program.
- Develop and implement specific marketing plans for each new book including social media campaigns, promotional flyers and mailings, contacting publications for reviews, author interviews, and book signing events.
- Working with the Office Manager and editors, plan and support RS presence at conferences, including staffing booths. Oversee design and production of advertising, promotional materials, and publications catalog
- Field press and other inquiries (e.g. speaker and media requests) and forward requests to appropriate Rethinking Schools person.
- Coordinate writing and distribution of press releases/e-announcements for magazine, books and other RS activities.
Social Media and Website
- Coordinate maintenance of Rethinking Schools Facebook page, Twitter account, Pinterest page, blog, and other social media channels.
- Create email calendar and coordinate the writing, testing, and sending of emails.
- Help update website as needed for new issue and books, corrections and changes.
- Work on development and promotion of site licenses and student access
- Find new advertisers and sustain current advertisers to place ads in each issue of Rethinking Schools.
- Send out contracts to advertisers, maintain contracts on file, and have AIDC bill for ads. Collect paid ad copy by ad deadline. Have paid ads proofed. Update ads and ad spread sheet for art director as needed.
- Books Work with consultant to reprint current RS books with revised ad pages. Work with Business Manager on distribution of e-books. Develop RS ads and subscription cards for all new RS books. Coordinate with production editors and designers.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Rethinking Schools, and be driven by its mission. You should have/ be:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in marketing or communications
- At least 3 years of marketing and communications experience with a proven track record of successfully managing multiple priorities and job responsibilities.
- Pertinent experience in a publishing or progressive nonprofit setting preferred but not required.
- Internally motivated, self-starter; a program leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Skilled at data management and communications software. Superior communications and writing and editing skills
- Thorough attention to detail, resourcefulness and a talent for problem-solving, tenacity and determination in challenging situations, a high sense of urgency, and an ability to carry out a plan
Rethinking Schools is an equal opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, and LGBT folks are encouraged to apply.
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Rethinking Schools offers competitive benefits: Employer paid health, dental vision as well as life, long term and short term disability insurance. Simplified Employee Pension plan. Four weeks vacation, 12 sick days, personal and holiday leave.
Filed under: Current events