Table of Contents
- Free An Open Letter to President-elect Obama By the Editors of Rethinking Schools
- Move Over, Sisyphus Authored By Linda Christensen Get students passionate about writing and the grammar will follow
- Remembering Mahmoud Darwish Authored By Naomi Shihab Nye The Palestinian poet's richly descriptive style resonated with displaced peoples everywhere
- The Prison Cell Poem by Mahmoud Darwish
'The Prison Cell' Teaching Idea
We were saddened to hear about the death of Mahmoud Darwish, considered the national poet of the Palestinians, who died on Aug. 9, 2008, from complications after open-heart surgery. He was 67. This reprinted poem, translated by Ben Bennani, and article are in honor of Darwish's life and contributions to humanity.
— The Editors
- A Test Scorer's Lament Authored By Todd Farley Scenes from the mad, mad, mad world of testing companies
- Teaching's Revolving Door Authored By Barbara Miner New teachers leave the profession at an alarming rate—and there's no single reason or easy solutions
Who Leaves and Why
"My principal was a control freak."
- Free Decolonizing the Classroom: Lessons in Multicultural Education Authored By Wayne Au Multicultural education has to be based on dialogue?both among students and between students and teachers
- Children As Guinea Pigs Authored By Deborah Menkart Washington, D.C., bribes its students to perform
- We Still Aren't In a Post-Racial Society Authored By Fred McKissack Barack Obama's election isn't the end of racism
- Hunger, Academic Success, and the Hard Bigotry of Indifference Authored By Gerald Coles Food insecurity and hunger are a serious threat to children's lives
- Documenting the Undocumented Authored By Ann Truax When immigrant students count—and when they don't
- College for All? Authored By Lori Chajet, Sierra Stoneman-Bell Low-income students take the college admissions process into their own hands
- The Square Root of a Fair Share Authored By Jana Dean Lessons on school desks and dream homes
- 10 Quick Ways to Analyze Children's Books for Ableism Authored By Chloe Myers, Hank Bersani, Jr. Rooting out prejudice by able-bodied and able-minded people toward people with disabilities
- Demystifying the 'Dismal Science' Authored By Joan Dye Gussow A review of Introducing Economics: A Critical Guide for Teaching
- Marketing American Girlhood Authored By Elizabeth Marshall
- Good Stuff - Little Rebels Authored By Herb Kohl, David Sobel
- Short Stuff
- Letters to the Editors
Rethinking Bilingual Education is an exciting new collection of articles about bringing students’ home languages into our classrooms.
For almost two decades, teachers have looked to Reading, Writing, and Rising Up as a trusted text to integrate social justice teaching in language arts classrooms.
Teaching is a lifelong challenge, but the first few years in the classroom are typically a teacher’s hardest.