Table of Contents
- Free Stop the School-to-Prison Pipeline By The Editors of Rethinking Schools
Schools and the New Jim Crow
An interview with Michelle AlexanderBy Jody Sokolower
The author of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness applies her thought-provoking analysis to children, schools, and priorities for education activism.
Zero tolerance and the criminalization of childrenBy Annette Fuentes
The author of Lockdown High: When the Schoolhouse Becomes a Jailhouse reviews the history, impact, and future of zero tolerance policies.
The Classroom to Prison Pipeline
By Linda Christensen
A master teacher faces a classroom revolt. She realizes that, no matter how imminent the high-stakes test, stopping the school-to-prison pipeline begins in the classroom with student-centered, meaningful curriculum.
- Haniyah's Story
- Teaching Haniyah By Jody Sokolower
- Chicago's Peace Warriors By Kazu Haga
- Teaching the Prison Industrial Complex By Aparna Lakshmi
- Candles in April By Jamila Appleby
- Plotting Inequalities, Building Resistance By Bridget Brew, Crystal Proctor, Adam Renner
Who's Crazy? Students Critique the The Gods Must Be Crazy
By Chris Hawking, with Cresslyn Clay and Colin PierceBy Chris Hawking
- Free First and Second title both empty, Update me! International Movement for Public Education; Gay-Straight Alliances Show Long-Term Benefits
- Occupy Movement Spurs Education Activism
Heroes or Cultural Icons? Of Thee I Sing : A Letter to My Daughters
A critical reviewBy Beverly Slapin
- Ordinary Heroes By Waahida Tolbert-Mbatha
- Our picks for books, videos, websites, and other social justice education resources.
- First and Second title both empty, Update me!
Rethinking Bilingual Education is an exciting new collection of articles about bringing students’ home languages into our classrooms.
For almost two decades, teachers have looked to Reading, Writing, and Rising Up as a trusted text to integrate social justice teaching in language arts classrooms.
This new and expanded edition collects the best articles dealing with race and culture in the classroom that have appeared in Rethinking Schools magazine.