Table of Contents
Another Path is Possible: Two Chicago Principals Keep an eye on What Matters
Authored By Gregory Michie
Two neighborhood schools find their way, thriving on collaboration and commitment to a shared vision. By the author of Holler If You Hear Me: The Education of a Teacher and His Students.
Big City Superintendents: Dictatorship or Democracy? Lessons from Paulo Freire
Authored By Bob Peterson
Did you know Paulo Freire was once superintendent of schools in São Paulo, Brazil? Rethinking Schools editor and 5th grade teacher Bob Peterson describes how the world-famous author of Pedagogy of the Oppressed put his theories into practice in a poverty-stricken urban school district.
- Free Where Is Our Community Organizer-in-Chief? Authored By the editors of Rethinking Schools There is a disturbing overlap between Obamas educational policies and those of George W. Bush. The nations schools dont need an entrepreneur-in-chief; we need national leadership that supports critical thinking, educating the whole child, and democratic participation from the ground up.
- Free Trolling For Stories: Lessons from Our Lives Authored By Linda Christensen Editor’s note: This article is a chapter in Linda Christensen’s new Rethinking Schools book, Teaching for Joy and Justice: Re-imagining the Language Arts Classroom. If you are inspired by this article to troll for stories, the book includes student examples and additional materials.
- Exile Has Its Place: A High School Principal Reflects on School Discipline Authored By T. Elijah Hawkes
Stenciling Dissent: A Student project Draws on the Language of the Street
Political graffiti engages students in the history of protest for social justiceAuthored By Andrew Reed Political graffiti engages students in the history of protest for social justice.
- The Debate Over Differentiated Pay: The Devil is in the Details Authored By Barbara Miner These days everyone has an opinion about how teachers should get paid. Investigative reporter Barbara Miner goes beyond the rhetoric to explore trends and conflicting perspectives on alternative pay structures.
- When the Gender Boxes Don't Fit Authored By Jody Sokolower
- As a Mom and a Teacher Authored By Jody Sokolower
- Rethinking Thanksgiving: Myths and Misgivings Authored By Vera L. Stenhouse
- Short Stuff
- Good Stuff: Wounding and Healing Authored By Herb Kohl
- Our picks for books, videos, websites, and other social justice education resources.
Rethinking Bilingual Education is an exciting new collection of articles about bringing students’ home languages into our classrooms.
For almost two decades, teachers have looked to Reading, Writing, and Rising Up as a trusted text to integrate social justice teaching in language arts classrooms.
Teaching is a lifelong challenge, but the first few years in the classroom are typically a teacher’s hardest.