There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.
- Booker T. Washington (19th Century educator and leader)
I shall write the history that will inspire the millions that are coming and leave the posterity of our enemies to reckon with the hosts for the deeds of their fathers.
- Marcus Garvey (early 20th Century leader and nationalist)
I knew I could have been lynched, manhandled, or beaten when the police came. I chose not to move. When I made that decision, I knew that I had the strength of my ancestors with me.
- Rosa Parks (activist in the Civil Rights Movement)
"Say it Loud: I'm Black
and I'm Proud."
- James Brown (soul singer)
Find out what it means to me.
- Aretha Franklin (soul singer)