ADDITIONAL RESOURCESpg. 4 — Role play activity on origins of tracking | pdf
pg. 117 — Dolley Madison's slave bill of sale
pg. 125 — Copies and PDFs of handouts and lesson plans for 'Write the Truth' unit
pg. 130 — Ready-to-use copy of Linda's chart for unlearning stereotypes.
pg. 135 — Examples of Jefferson High School student work.
pg. 164 — Links to complete text of Harvard University's Civil Rights Reports
The article "Schools More Separate" in Rethinking School Reform is based on information on two reports published by the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University:
- "Schools More Separate: Consequences of a Decade of Resegregation" by Gary Orfield is available at: www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu/research/deseg/separate_schools01.php
- "A Multiracial Society with Segregated Schools: Are We Losing the Dream?" by Erica Frankengerg, Chungmei Lei, and Professor Gary Orfield is available at: www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu/research/reseg03/resegregation03.php
- Other research reports on this issue by the Civil Rights Project are listed at: www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu/research/deseg/deseg_gen.php
pg. 175 — Link to applied Research Center report mentioned in "Choice and Other White Lies"
"No Exit? Testing, Tracking, and Students of Color in U.S. Public Schools", by the Applied Research Center is available at: www.arc.org/Pages/Eexe_sum.html
pg. 198 — Link to full text of the No Child Left Behind act from the US government
- A PDF of the No Child Left Behind Act is available at: www.rethinkingschools.org/special_reports/bushplan/no-child-left-behind.pdf
- The U.S. Department of Education website devoted to NCLB legislation is: www.ed.gov/offices/OESE/asst.html
- Also see the complete Rethinking Schools Special Collection on NCLB at: www.rethinkingschools.org/special_reports/bushplan/index.shtml